About TrulyTokyo.com and Chris Rowthorn
Chris is the author of Lonely Planet's Japan, Kyoto and Discover Japan guides. Chris strongly recommends picking up a copy of one of these guides to supplement the information available on this site. Chris has lived in Japan since 1992. He's based in Kyoto but has lived in Tokyo and spends a lot of time in Tokyo to do research and run his Japan tour business.
In 2015, Chris started TrulyTokyo.com to serve as an online guide to Tokyo and to serve as a companion site to his online Kyoto guide: InsideKyoto.com.
Chris runs Chris Rowthorn Tours for travelers who wish to get a closer look at Japan, Hong Kong and Bangkok. You can find out more about his tours at ChrisRowthorn.com. You can also read reviews of Chris Rowthorn Tours on Tripadvisor
About Chris Rowthorn
Chris Rowthorn was born in Oxford, England, in 1966. He was raised in the United States, where he attended Vassar College, graduating with the class of 1989. In 1992, Chris moved to Kyoto, Japan, and started studying the Japanese language and culture. After the mandatory stint as an English teacher, Chris started writing for the Japan Times in 1995.
In 1996, Chris was recruited by Lonely Planet Publications to work on their guidebooks to Japan. Since then, Chris has written 29 books for Lonely Planet Publications. He is the sole author of the Lonely Planet Kyoto City Guide, and has been the lead author of the last seven editions of the Lonely Planet Japan country guide.
He also authored one edition of the Tokyo city guide and worked on one edition of the Lonely Planet Hiking in Japan guide. He's also worked on guidebooks to Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei, Borneo, Southeast Asia, Victoria (Australia) and the Philippines.
Chris has also written for dozens of magazines and newspapers including National Geographic Explorer, Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel, BBC Online, and many more.
Chris's wife is from Kyoto and they have two children who are proudly multicultural. Chris speaks and reads Japanese fluently. Here's a clip of Chris on Japanese TV explaining the appeal of Kyoto. In his free time, Chris enjoys hiking, trekking, snorkeling, diving, reading and spending time with his family.
Contact Chris Rowthorn
Please note: Due to time constraints, I'm unable to reply to individual inquiries about Tokyo/Kyoto/Japan travel.
Walking Tours: If you wish to book a private tour of Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima/Miyajima or Kanazawa, please visit ChrisRowthorn.com
Travel Consulting: If you wish to book a private consultation about your upcoming trip to Japan, please send me a message using the form below.
Media Inquiries: Please use the form below to contact me for interview requests. I can also provide articles and website content on topics related to Tokyo and Japan.
Advertising/Sponsorship: If you have an advertising or sponsorship request for TrulyTokyo.com, please send a message to request our media pack. Please specify your target market and marketing budget for this project on application.
Enter Your Message Below
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads