SkyTree and other Skyscrapers / Skytree und andere Wolkenkratzer © bernhard-friess
Once one of Tokyo’s most iconic sights, the Flamme D’Or sits atop Asahi Beer Hall just across the river from Asakusa. It has now been superseded by the towering new Tokyo Skytree. If you want a good view of Tokyo, the Skytree is the place to go, but you’ll have to deal with the crowds!
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world