What is the best time of year to visit Yokohama? What’s the weather like in Yokohama month by month? Here, we’ll give you all the answers.
Night view of cherry blossoms and Yokohama Minatomirai
- You can visit Yokohama at any time of the year. The weather is fairly temperate year-round though summers can be quite hot and humid.
- The best times to visit Yokohama are fall (late September to November) and spring (March/April/May).
- Summer (late June to the end of August) in Yokohama is hot and humid.
- Winter (December/January/February) in Yokohama is cold but not too cold for traveling. As a bonus, there are many illuminations and festivities coinciding with Christmas and New Years.
- The rainy season lasts from around mid-June to late July, but it does NOT rain every day and you can travel.
Monthly Weather in Yokohama
Winter scene of Yokohama
Yokohama Weather in January
Average high (C/F): 10/50
Average low (C/F): 2/35.6
January tends to be clear and cold. It rains or snows a few times during the month. The snow usually doesn't stay. Most businesses are closed from December 29th to January 3rd for the shogatsu (New Year's) holiday. This is a quiet month in terms of crowds (except for at the shrines during shogatsu).
Yokohama Weather in February
Average high (C/F): 10/50
Average low (C/F): 2/35.6
Winter continues into February. This is generally a dry month but it can rain or snow a bit. If it snows, it doesn't usually stick on the ground. This is another good month to visit if you don't like crowds. It’s also great if you like plum blossoms, especially from mid-February.
Yokohama Weather in March
Average high (C/F): 13/55.4
Average low (C/F): 5/41
The weather in Yokohama begins to warm up in March. Nevertheless, the weather can range from cold to quite warm, so we suggest layering clothes and peeling on and off as needed. Cherry blossoms usually begin blooming at the end of March. March is not a particularly crowded month, but the last week tends to become busier with sakura spotters.
Check out our recommended spots for cherry-blossom viewing in Yokohama on our Yokohama Cherry Blossoms page.
Early blooming cherry blossoms at Shin Yokohama Park
Yokohama Weather in April
Average high (C/F): 19/66.2
Average low (C/F): 10/50
Spring really starts in April. The first week or so is peak time for tourism in Japan due to the cherry blossoms. If you want to visit in April, book well in advance! While Yokohama will be less busy than neighbouring Tokyo, it will still have its fair share of cherry blossom revellers. The cherries usually peak sometime in the first week of April and usually linger until around 15 April (but fall earlier during rainy years). The weather can range from chilly to quite warm, so bring clothes you can layer. The second half of the month tends to be less busy and lovely.
Yokohama Weather in May
Average high (C/F): 23/73.4
Average low (C/F): 15/59
May is one of the nicest months to be in Yokohama. It’s warm but not hot or too humid, and the skies are often sunny. This is a wonderful month to spend time outdoors in parks and gardens, and the new green of spring is beautiful. Outside of Golden Week in early May, when all of Japan seems to take their holidays simultaneously, this is not a busy tourist season. Evenings and mornings can still be a bit cool, so bring a light top layer.
Yokohama Weather in June
Average high (C/F): 25/77
Average low (C/F): 19/66.2
June is a great time to visit. The weather is reliably warm but it's not yet hot. It's usually sunny at the start of the month and then the rainy season starts later in the month. It doesn't usually rain every day or all day. But, you can expect many afternoon showers, so bring a portable umbrella.
Yokohama Marine Tower seen from Yamashita Park in summer
Yokohama Weather in July
Average high (C/F): 29/84.2
Average low (C/F): 22/71.6
The rainy season lasts into July and it is usually hot and humid with frequent rains. Still, it's possible to travel in Yokohama in July and it's not crowded. The rainy season ends at the end of the month, and then it becomes sunny, hot and humid.
Yokohama Weather in August
Average high (C/F): 31/87.8
Average low (C/F): 24/75.2
August is the hottest month in Yokohama. Sightseeing can be a sweltering affair in August, but the advantage is that there aren’t many other foreign tourists. Plus, there’s always ice cream and shaved ice to cool off! Long-distance transport like shinkansen (bullet trains) are crowded during the Obon holiday, which usually falls in the middle of the month (check online for this year's dates).
Yokohama Weather in September
Average high (C/F): 27/80.6
Average low (C/F): 20/68
September is an excellent time to travel in Tokyo. It's usually sunny, hot and humid at the beginning of the month, moderating to sunny and warm at the end of the month. This is low season for tourism and hotels can be a bargain.
Autumn foliage in the Sankeien Garden
Yokohama Weather in October
Average high (C/F): 22/71.6
Average low (C/F): 14/57.2
October has some of the best weather of the year: sunny and warm days are the rule, with cool evenings. It's a very comfortable time to travel. At the very end of the month, the leaves start to change colour in the city's parks and gardens.
Yokohama Weather in November
Average high (C/F): 17/63
Average low (C/F): 9/48
November is a fantastic month to visit Yokohama. The weather is usually cool and sunny skies are common. The leaves really begin changing colour this month, and the foliage in the city’s parks and gardens is spectacular.
Check out our recommended spots for fall foliage in Yokohama on our Yokohama Fall Foliage page.
Yokohama Weather in December
Average high (C/F): 12/54
Average low (C/F): 4/39
Winter typically begins in December, though recent years have seen warmish Decembers due to climate change. Temperatures range from cool to cold, but it definitely isn’t too cold for sightseeing – the air is beautifully crisp and great to walk in. This is generally a dry month, but it can rain a little. (Snow is rare these days here.) If you don’t like crowds, this is a good time to visit. However, bear in mind that things shut down from December 29th until January 3rd for the shogatsu holiday.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)