For a slow lunch of soba in serene surroundings, try Honmura An in Roppongi. It’s an oasis of calm amid the chaos of Roppongi.
Honmura An - image © Florentyna Leow
Honmura An is a small, elegant soba restaurant down a side street in Roppongi. Like many restaurants in Tokyo, the entrance is easy to miss. Look for the “Hamato” signboard with a puffer fish above the stairwell. Walk up the stairs and you’ll find Honmura An on your right.
Its customers are pretty much the kind of people you expect to see at a place like this: many of them a little older, some inexplicably good-looking in an understated way, and all of them impeccably dressed.
The soba here is decent, if not life-changing. Definitely order the cold noodles. With the use of fish stock in the dipping sauce, and a buckwheat to wheat ratio of 8:2, this isn’t a vegetarian or gluten-free dining option.
Tokyo has plenty of amazing soba, and Honmura An isn’t really among the best of them. But it is a pleasant, elegant space to dine in, and if you happen to be craving soba while in Roppongi, you know where to go.
7-14-18 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-0032
Monday-Friday: noon-2:30pm, 5:30pm-10pm
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: noon-2:30pm, 5:30pm-9:30pm
Closed Monday, and 1st and 3rd Tuesday
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit 4b of Roppongi Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya line, and Toei Oedo line.
Official website (English)
:: Read customer reviews of Honmura An on TripAdvisor.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads