Visit Japan Web app diagram
Although there are now no Covid protocols for Japan, the Japanese government still strongly recommends that you use the Visit Japan Web app to enter Japan. This app is used to enter your arrival information and customs declaration prior to arriving in Japan. Thus, it replaces the paper disembarkation card and customs declaration. Using the app will allow you to move more quickly through your arrival airport. However, you will not be denied entry to Japan if you do not use the Visit Japan Web app.
Visit Japan Web
Visit Japan Web app
Time required to fill out and instruction manuals
When you first download the app and look at the instruction manual, you may get the impression that it’s going to take a long time to complete Visit Japan Web. In practice, it takes about 15 minutes and is pretty intuitive. I suggest using the simplified manual and quarantine section manuals linked below.
Three parts to Visit Japan Web
Note, Visit Japan Web actually consists of three parts: 1) immigration information (ie, disembarkation card information), 2) customs information (ie, customs declaration), and 3) tax-exemption section. When you successfully complete these sections, you will receive three QR codes. The first two you will show at the airport upon arrival. The third you will show at shops that offer tax-free shopping to tourists.
You will need a charged smartphone with internet access for Visit Japan Web to work at the airport when you arrive. Japanese airports have free wifi, so connectivity is not an issue, but be sure to charge your phone before flying. Just in case something goes wrong with your phone or you cannot get online at the airport, it’s a good idea to do two things to print out your immigration and customs QR codes to show at the airport.
Important Visit Japan Web Links
- Here’s the Visit Japan Web download site.
- Here’s a detailed manual for using Visit Japan Web.
- Here’s a simplified Visit Japan Web Manual (scroll down for instructions).
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with a Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world