Tokyo has the best ramen restaurants on earth. Here is my hand-picked selection of Tokyo's best ramen restaurants.
Tokyo is a ramen lover's paradise. All Japanese regional styles are here, as well as some truly innovative artisanal ramen places that are well worth a pilgrimage. The places listed here are sure to delight and are easy on the wallet.
- Afuri (Ebisu)
Artisanal and creative ramen a few steps from Ebisu Station.
- Kikanbo (Kanda)
Spicy noodles just around the corner from Kanda Station.
- Kagari (Ginza)
Superb chicken soup ramen hidden down a tiny alley.
- Fuunji (Shinjuku)
Wickedly good ramen and tsukemen (noodles on the side ramen) in West Shinjuku.
- Menya Kaijin (Shinjuku)
Unusual seafood-based ramen in East Shinjuku.
- Rokurinsha (Tokyo Station Area)
Absurdly popular tsukemen (noodles on the side ramen) right in Tokyo Station (if this is full, try one nearby – there are plenty).
- Ichiran (Shibuya)
Tasty ramen served in "private" booths in Shibuya.
- Manpuku (Ginza)
Excellent shoyu (soy sauce-based soup) ramen on the edge of Ginza.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads