Tsukiji Fish Market has closed. It has been moved to Toyosu and renamed Toyosu Fish Market. See our Toyosu Fish Market page for full details on the new market.
Tsukiji Fish Market: kuponjabah / Shutterstock.com
There’s still a lot of action at the former fish market’s outer market section. There are shops selling all manner of cookware, some food items, and plenty of restaurants serving sushi and other kinds of Japanese food.
It's located in the Tsukiji District of Tokyo, which is a decent walk south of Ginza and southeast of Shimbashi or Shiodome. It's easily paired with a visit to Ginza, Hama Rikyu Gardens or a trip up the Sumida-gawa River on one of the tourist boats. You can visit most of the market without special permission or a guide. Here's what you need to know to visit the market.
How to Get to Tsukiji Fish Market
- To get there, take the Tokyo Oedo subway line to the Tsukiji Ichiba station and exit A1 and you're right there. Because the market is not an official tourist attraction, it's not well marked. You initially enter a covered parking/loading area and then make your way toward the market itself. You can usually just follow the people. If you need to ask someone to point you in the right direction, ask for "Tsukiji Ichiba".
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)