Make the most of your time in Tokyo with my carefully planned itineraries for trips from 1 to 5 days. Or use one of my special interest Tokyo itineraries. And don't miss my Tokyo-Kyoto combination itineraries.
Tokyo Itineraries - 1 to 5 Days
- 1-Day Tokyo Itinerary
Even one day is enough to get a taste of this incredible world city. In this itinerary, I'll show you how to make the very best of a short stay in Tokyo.
- Must See 1-Day Tokyo Itinerary
So you only have one day in Tokyo? This must-see 1-day Tokyo itinerary allows you to get a taste of the city and see the real highlights without tiring yourself out.
- 2-Day Tokyo Itinerary
Two days is enough to see both sides of Tokyo: the traditional and the modern. This itinerary is the perfect way to make the most of two days in this incredible city.
- 3-Day Tokyo Itinerary
Three days is the perfect amount of time to spend in Tokyo. My three-day Tokyo itinerary is the best way to get the most out of your time in this incredible city.
- 4-Day Tokyo Itinerary
Four days in Tokyo gives you enough time to see the city and make one day trip out of the city. My four-day Tokyo itinerary is the best way to make use of four days in this incredible city.
- 5-Day Tokyo Itinerary
Five days in Tokyo allows for an awesome experience of the city and time for a daytrip out of the city. My five-day Tokyo itinerary is the best way to make use of five days in this incredible city.
Special Interest Itineraries For Tokyo
- Tokyo Foodie Itinerary
This one-day eating itinerary takes you through some of the highlights of Tokyo’s vast culinary scene. It includes the famed Tsukiji Market, fabulous snacks, the best pizza in Tokyo, and glorious Japanese beef.
- Two-Day Tokyo Cherry Blossom Itinerary
Even though Tokyo is a large city with no shortage of cherry trees, tourists and locals alike tend to gravitate to the same few spots. Here are a few tips to make the most of your time in Tokyo, and enjoy the cherry blossoms without stressing out.
- Two-Day Tokyo Fall Foliage Itinerary
See the best of the Tokyo Fall Foliage with our two-day Tokyo Fall Foliage Itinerary which lets you maximise your time to see the Tokyo autumn colors.
- Tokyo Shrine and Temple Itinerary
While Tokyo's shrines and temples don't compare to those of Kyoto, there are some great ones in the city. Here's a one-day itinerary based on Tokyo's temples and shrines.
- Tokyo Fuji Visit Itinerary
Whether you want to climb the mountain or just get a view, here is all the information you need.
- Tokyo Nature Lovers Itinerary
Tokyo has a surprising number of parks and gardens. This itinerary is carefully crafted to allow you to visit the best of them in one day.
- Tokyo Shopping Itinerary
Tokyo is one of the world's best shopping cities. The shops and the service are world famous. Here are my picks for what and where to buy in Tokyo.
- Tokyo Itineraries With Children
Tokyo is a great place to travel with children: It's safe, clean and there are lots of kid-friendly attractions. This itinerary is the perfect 1-day itinerary for those traveling with children.
- Tokyo Art Lover's Itinerary
In Tokyo, art lovers are spoiled for choice: There are just so many good museums and galleries to choose from. This 1-Day Art Lovers Itinerary is the best way to see the four best museums in Tokyo without tiring yourself out.
- Tokyo-Kyoto 1-Week Itinerary
If you have only one week in Japan, then Tokyo and Kyoto are the two places you should visit. These cities will give you the best experience of modern and traditional Japan. Here's the ideal one-week Tokyo-Kyoto itinerary.
- Tokyo-Kyoto 10-Day Itinerary
If you have 10 days in Japan, then spending the entire time in Tokyo and Kyoto is a good idea. A day trip from Kyoto to Nara allows you to add a third city. Here is the perfect Tokyo-Kyoto 10-day itinerary.
To fully plan your trip to Japan, see my comprehensive Japan itineraries which guide you to the best locations and map out each day for you.
- Japan Itineraries Overview
- 1 Week Japan Itinerary: Tokyo and Kyoto
- 10 Day Japan Itinerary: Tokyo, Kyoto and Kanazawa
- 10 Day Japan Itinerary: Tokyo, Kyoto and Takayama
- 2 Week Japan Itinerary: The Grand Tour
- 7 to 10 Day Japan Itinerary: Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Hiroshima
- Japan With Children Itinerary
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how.
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads