Tokyo has the best sushi restaurants on earth. Here is my hand-picked selection of the best approachable sushi restaurants in Tokyo in every price range.
Sushi from Tsukiji Fish Market
The restaurants listed here are all excellent and, more importantly, approachable. Sure, there might be a few places in Tokyo that are slightly better, but many are astronomically expensive or unwelcoming to foreign travelers. The places listed here are all places you can actually visit and enjoy.
- Aoki (Ginza)
Delicious, refined and approachable sushi in the heart of Ginza.
- Sushiko Honten (Ginza)
Upscale and elegant sushi without a lot of attitude.
- Kyubey (Ginza)
High-end but approachable sushi in Ginza.
- Namazu Uogashi (Tokyo Station Area)
Excellent sushi sets for a reasonable price right in Tokyo station.
- Edogin (Tsukiji)
Great mid-range sushi near Tsukiji Market.
- Sushisei (Tsukiji)
More great mid-range sushi near Tsukiji Market.
- Sushi Iwa (Tsukiji)
Just far enough from Tsukiji Market to be peaceful, this small place is where I go when I'm in Tsukiji.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads