Book your own private Tokyo tour with a knowledgeable English-speaking guide to explore the after-work world of Tokyo.
Yurakocho “Yakitori Alley” © bernardoh
This private Tokyo tour is perfect for those who want to experience the “after work” side of Tokyo. It includes both traditional and modern entertainment areas.
The Tour Itinerary
You’ll start at Kagurazaka, an atmospheric collection of traditional restaurants and bars located along pedestrian-only lanes on Kagurazaka Hill. Next you will move to Shimbashi, which is a popular gathering spot for the city’s army of “salarymen.” Then you’ll walk through the restaurant-studded Corrido-gai Alley before visiting Yurakucho Yatai Alley. This yatai alley is filled with bars and restaurants with simple furniture, some looking almost temporal stalls.
Your Own Private Tour Guide
Don't forget this is a private walking tour, just for you and your friends and family. There will be no-one else on the tour with you, so you have the guide to yourself. We have some of Tokyo's best English-speaking guides, helping you maximise your time and enjoyment of the city and also get a deeper understanding of the history and significance of each place you visit. The tour price is for the whole group, not per person!
- Time: Two hours
- Cost: Y25,000 for 1 to 6 people per private group. The cost is NOT per person. (Y25,000 is approximately $219 US or 204 Euros)
- Highlights: Kagurazaka, Shimbashi, Yurakucho
- Ideal starting time: 5:30pm (walk concludes at 7:30pm); this tour is only conducted on weekday evenings.
Kagurazaka by night © cloneofsnake
How To Book A Tokyo Private Walking Tour
Please send us an inquiry using the form below. We will then quickly respond to you by email confirming availability and any other requirements you may have. You can pay either in advance online using your credit card, or you can pay at the conclusion of the tour in cash. Japanese Yen, US Dollars or Euros are acceptable for cash payments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Hire A Private Guide?
You don’t need a guide to enjoy Tokyo, but having a guide will add a lot of depth to your understanding of the city. A guide will also free you from having to think about the logistics of getting around and making the most efficient use of your time. A guide can also help you enjoy local restaurants without any communication difficulties. Hiring a guide for a tour on your first day will give you the confidence to explore on following days on your own and a guide can give you some advice about what to see later in your trip.
Who Runs These Tours?
My company Chris Rowthorn Tours provides these tours. We have been running licensed tours in Tokyo for 10 years. I have spent years finding and training the best guides in all of Tokyo. Licensed, professional bilingual guides who love Tokyo as much as I do. But, don’t take my word for it, have a look at reviews of Chris Rowthorn Tours on TripAdvisor.
Is The Price Per Person?
No! This is the PER GROUP price, i.e., it’s the price for a private group of 1 to 6 people. If there is one person booking the tour, the price is Y36,000 total. If there are six of you, the price is still Y36,000 (making it much cheaper per person). The tour group is private. That means there is only you and your family or you and your friends on the tour and no one else. Please note that we do NOT put different individuals or groups together, even upon request.
Do I Get A Discount If We Are Less Than 6 People?
The price is for a private group for 1 to 6 people. There are no discounts if there are less than the maximum number of people.
How Do I Pay For My Private Tokyo Walking Tour?
Payment is in cash at the conclusion of the tour or by credit card in advance of the tour (we can set up credit card billing). If you choose to pay in cash, please note that we accept yen cash or the equivalent amount in US/Euro cash.
Can I Cancel A Tour After Booking It?
You can cancel a tour with no penalty up to 48 hours before the scheduled start of the tour. If you cancel between 24 and 48 hours of the scheduled start, we charge you 50% of the price of the tour. Cancellations made fewer than 24 hours from the scheduled start of the tour incur a full 100% charge.
What's Not Included In The Tour Price?
The tour fee covers the price of the guide. Transport to and from the tour and during the tours, drinks and snacks along the way, and temple/garden/entrance fees are not included in this price (these costs are usually minimal). Please note that for full-day tours and six-hour tours, the guide will join you for lunch and we ask that you cover the cost of the guide’s lunch and their transport during the tour (usually a minimal expense).
How Do We Meet With Our Guide?
Your guide can meet you in the lobby of your hotel, ryokan, guesthouse or at any other convenient spot. They can also drop you off there if you wish at the conclusion of the tour.
Will My Guide Speak Fluent English?
My guides all speak high-level international-standard English and most have studied abroad. They have all passed the Japan National Guiding License, which includes a very strict English language section.
Do We Stop To Eat?
On two- or four-hour tours, you most likely will not stop for a proper sit-down meal (although, since it’s a fully private tour, if you chose to do so, you could). On six- and eight-hour tours, you will most likely stop for lunch en route. You might also stop for a drink at a teahouse or coffee shop en route. Please remember that these are fully private tours – the choice is up to you!
Where Can I Rest Along The Way?
Please do not feel that you have to walk at a certain pace for the entire tour. Or, for that matter, that you have to walk the complete distance or even finish the tour. Because these are fully private tours, you can rest as often as you wish: on park benches, in teahouses, at temple gardens, in restaurants and so on. And, if you tire of walking, you can always jump in a taxi.
Is It Easy To Find A Restroom?
Restrooms are very easy to find in Japan. Almost all attractions like temples have them, as do parks and shopping malls.
How Do We Get Home At The End Of Our Tour?
It is your choice: Your guide can escort you back to your lodgings or can simply explain the best way to get there on your own. Or, if the day is not yet over, your guide can point you in the direction of additional sightseeing. Please keep in mind that if you choose to have your guide accompany you to your lodgings, this will be on the clock, so that you will have to leave some of the sights a little early to make it back before the end of the tour.
Tokyo Walking Tours
- Tokyo Tour Overview
- Tokyo Tour 1: Traditional and Modern Tokyo
- Tokyo Tour 2: Modern Tokyo
- Tokyo Tour 3: Tsukiji Fish Market Tour
- Tokyo Tour 4: Traditional and Modern Tokyo Evening Tour
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo