Tokyo has great hotels in all budget classes. Here I introduce the best Tokyo hotels in each budget class, all personally inspected.
A Note On Tokyo Hotel Budget Classes
- Most Tokyo hotels change their rates according to the season. Prices are highest in the spring (late March to the end of April). I use the following price ranges to classify hotels. The rates presented here are per-room (ie, not per-person) for twin or double rooms. Exchange rates are as of November 2017.
- Budget: less than Y12,000 (US$105) per room
- Mid-range: between Y12,000 (US$105) and Y30,000 (US$263) per room
- Luxury: over Y30,000 (US$263) per room
Where To Stay in Tokyo
- Tokyo is a huge sprawling city and each urban node has a different character. Thus, it's very important to stay in a good area. See my Where to Stay in Tokyo page for my advice on the best places to stay in Tokyo.
Best Budget Hotels in Tokyo
- You may be surprised to find out that you can get a perfectly acceptable room in Tokyo for less than Y12,000 (US$105 in November 2017). See my Best Tokyo Budget Hotels page for my list of Tokyo's best budget hotels.
Best Mid-Range and Business Hotels in Tokyo
- The mid-range, between Y12,000 (US$105) and Y30,000 (US$263) per room, is where you'll find the best values in Tokyo hotels. Hotels in this range will often approach the quality of luxury hotels in other parts of the world. Many will be business hotels or upscale business hotels. See my Best Tokyo Mid-Range and Business Hotels page for my top picks in this price range.
Best Luxury Hotels in Tokyo
- Tokyo has a superb collection of luxury hotels (over Y30,000/US$250 per room). See my Best Tokyo Luxury Hotels page for my list of the very best hotels in the city.
Best Boutique Hotels in Tokyo
- Boutique hotels are relatively rare in Tokyo. But, the ones that do exist are great. See my Best Boutique Hotels in Tokyo page for my top picks.
Tokyo's Best Hotels For Families
- Tokyo is a great city to visit with kids. But, where should you stay? See my Best Tokyo Hotels For Families page.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo