There are so many things to do in Tokyo, how do you choose? Here are my personally researched lists of the very best activities in Tokyo.
Senso-ji Temple and Tokyo skytree at twilight
Here, I'll introduce the best things to do in Tokyo and give you links to my pages on each of these activities.
Whether you're a traveler or a local, eating is the main attraction in Tokyo. First, visit my What to Eat in Tokyo page for some ideas on what's good in Tokyo. Then, visit my Tokyo Restaurants page for lists of the best approachable restaurants in the city.
Best Tokyo Museums
Tokyo has the finest museums in all of Japan. My Tokyo Art Lovers Itinerary allows you to see the best of them in one day.
Best Tokyo Green Spaces
Tokyo can seem like an endless sea of concrete and neon. If you want to escape the urban jungle for a while, my Tokyo Nature Lovers Itinerary is the way to go.
Best Tokyo Temples and Shrines
Tokyo's temples and shrines are a great way to take a break from the busy city. My Tokyo's Best Temples and Shrines itinerary allows you to see the best of them in one day.
Best Tokyo Activities for Kids
I've got two kids, so I know how challenging it is to keep kids entertained while traveling. So, I've put together a special Tokyo 1-Day Itinerary for Travelers with Children.
After eating, shopping is the main activity in Tokyo. First, check out my Best Tokyo Souvenirs page for some ideas about things to buy in Tokyo. Then, check out my Tokyo Shopping Page for advice about where to shop in Tokyo. Finally, my 1-Day Tokyo Shopping Itinerary is great if you want to hit the best stores in one day.
Best Day Trips Out of Tokyo
If you've got more than three days in Tokyo, you might want to take a day trip out of the city. My Best Day Trips Out of the City page gives the rundown on where to go and how to get there.
Finally, check out my Tokyo Itineraries page for a full list of time-based and activity-based itineraries to help you make the most of your time in Tokyo.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads