If you’d like to try Japan’s famous “fluffy pancakes,” drop into the Ginza branch of A Happy Pancake. It’s a cheap and accessible spot to sample these decadent desserts.
Happiness Pancake interior - image © Chris Rowthorn
It’s located on the 7th floor of the New Ginza Building. Just look for the sign on the street outside and take the elevator.
Happiness Pancake kitchen - image © Chris Rowthorn
Once there, you’ll probably find yourself among a crowd of mostly foreign diners who’ve made the pilgrimage here to try the world’s fluffiest pancake. We’re not big fans of food trends, but these pancakes are actually pretty damn good. They make a nice dessert after a meal somewhere else in Ginza.
Happiness pancake - image © Chris Rowthorn
In addition to the famed “happiness pancakes,” you can enjoy a variety of café drinks and other sweet treats.
A Happy Pancake Ginza
7F-B New Ginza bldg. 10, 5-8-5 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0061
〒104-0061 東京都中央区銀座5-8-5 ニューギンザビル10号館7F-B
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: 10am-8:30pm
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit A5 of Ginza Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza, Hibiya and Marunouchi lines.
Official website (Japanese)
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how.
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads