With 400 kinds of tequila and mezcal in stock, Agave isn’t your average Roppongi bar. The prices, however, are on par with its upscale surroundings.
Agave - image © Florentyna Leow
Tequila is the kind of drink associated with drunken college parties and serious hangovers. At Agave, however, you won’t be downing cheap shots. This bar is the world’s largest tequila and mezcal bar, and you’re here to appreciate the subtleties of what these distilled liquors have to offer.
The vibe here is not unlike an upscale Mexican cantina. There’s Frida Kahlo art on the walls, scads of salsa and guacamole in the food, and delicious cigars from the humidor. But prices here are definitely not Mexican. Drinks here start at a cool JPY1000, and can go up to around JPY9500 per measure.
Unless you have very deep pockets, this is not the place for tossing back tequila shots to get drunk. It’s a must-visit, however, for tequila connoisseurs or people who want to explore the subject further.
B1 DM bldg, 7-18-11 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-0032
〒106-0032 東京都港区六本木7-18-11 DMビルB1
Friday and Saturday: 6:30pm-4am
Closed Sunday, and Monday of a national holiday
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit 2 of Roppongi Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya line, and Toei Oedo line.
Official website (English and Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world