Looking for something different? Try ‘wafu’ or ‘Japanese-style’ udon at Anpuku in the Shinbashi Area. Imagine Italian or Chinese meets Japanese noodles and you’ll get the idea. Don’t knock till you try it – their udon is delicious.
Anpuku Toranomon Hills - image © Florentyna Leow
Udon restaurants don’t usually try to reinvent the wheel with their offerings. After a few menus, they all start to sound pretty similar – udon with tempura, curry, dashi broth, and so forth. So it’s nice to occasionally venture into new territory.
Anpuku serves modern, ‘wafu’ or Japanese-style takes on pasta or other noodles using udon. Just take any spaghetti dish you can think of and replace it with udon. Or indeed, any savoury dish that pairs with a carbohydrate. The sky’s the limit. Think grilled chicken and mushroom cream udon, Sichuan mapo-style eggplant udon, and stewed beef tendon curry udon noodles.
We love their signature carbonara udon, a deliciously creamy, cheesy, slurpable, bacon-filled noodle bowl. The soft-boiled egg really ties the whole dish together by coating the noodles with gooey yolk.
As befits a Japanese izakaya-style joint, they also serve a number of small side dishes that pair fabulously with sake. Order flavourful bites like crispy fried chicken, Japanese-style omelette, wasabi octopus, or “the best beef jerky in the world.” We haven’t tried that last dish, but if you do, let us know.
Anpuku is an offshoot of the Ikebukuro branch. We like their location in Toranomon Hills, the tallest skyscraper in Tokyo not too far from Shinbashi Station. The restaurant is spacious, sunny, and there’s great coffee in the building for that post-lunch caffeine hit.
For more Tokyo udon choices, see our Best Udon in Tokyo page.
Anpuku Toranomon Hills
4F Toranomon Hills, 1-26 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 105-0001
〒105-0001 東京都港区虎ノ門1-26 虎ノ門ヒルズ4F
Monday-Friday: 11am-3pm, 5pm-11pm
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: 11am-3pm, 5pm-10pm
Subway: 5-minute walk from exit 1 of Toranomon Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza line.
Read customer reviews of Anpuku Toranomon Hills on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Anpuku Toranomon Hills is located in Tokyo's Shimbashi, Shiodome, Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo's Shimbashi, Shiodome, Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Tokyo Restaurants Reservation Service:
You can reserve tables hassle-free at over 300 Tokyo restaurants with Voyagin's Tokyo Restaurant Reservation service.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)