Shibuya isn’t just all about the shopping or clubbing. Get your art and culture fix at the excellent Bunkamura The Museum.
Bunkamura The Museum - image © Florentyna Leow
With an abundance of shops devoted to youth culture and fashion, Shibuya doesn’t seem like the kind of district that has fantastic art museums. But just a short walk from the main station in the quieter streets is Bunkamura. Owned and operated by the Tokyu corporation, which also runs the fabulous Tokyu Food Hall beneath JR Shibuya, Bunkamura is actually one of the leading art museums in the nation.
Bunkamura hosts excellent international art shows yearly. It averages upwards of 30 or so exhibitions a year, with four to six of them being major ones. The focus is mainly on modern art, mostly from the 20th century; past artists exhibited include Lou Fujita, Chagall, Kandinsky, and Klee. There’s also an ever-changing rotation of smaller art exhibitions in the gallery spaces.
Art museum aside, Bunkamura is really an entire complex devoted to all forms of the arts. The same building is home to a concert hall, an art-house cinema, and theatre spaces, as well as the Tokyu department store with boutiques and restaurants. If you want, you can pretty much spend the whole day immersing yourself in the arts without ever leaving.
Bunkamura The Museum
2-24-1 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-8507
10am-6pm (Sunday-Thursday, last entry 5:30pm)
10am-9pm (Friday and Saturday, last entry 8:30pm)
Varies by exhibition
Train: 7-minute walk from Hachiko exit of Shibuya Station.
Official Website (English)
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)