Travelling on a budget? You’ll love the wallet-friendly Buta Daigaku – delicious pork rice bowls can be had here for as little as JPY500. To go the whole hog, shell out JPY1080 for a donburi topped with 1kg of pork slices.
Buta Daigaku - image © Florentyna Leow
Clean, green eating is all well and good, but there are some days when only a heap of meat will satisfy the hunger churning inside you. On those days, head over to Buta Daigaku in Shinbashi for their pork rice bowls.
As with most of our favourite restaurants, Buta Daigaku does one thing – alright, variations on one theme – and they do it well. Think bowls of rice topped with slices of garlic and soy-grilled pork. That’s really all they serve, discounting optional toppings like garlic, green onions, and kimchi. We wouldn’t expect anything less of a restaurant whose name translations to “Pork University.”
Not only are these pork rice bowls delicious, they’re also incredibly wallet-friendly. A small rice bowl sets you back just JPY500, and the super-large bowl clocking in at JPY1080 is reputedly topped with 1kg of pork slices. Whether that’s true or not, it’s a lot of food and you won’t go hungry.
Unsurprisingly, the restaurant is popular with local salarymen in Shimbashi. You’ll see hordes of them scoffing down these hearty bowls at lunch hours. We suggest joining them.
For more Tokyo teishoku and donburi choices, see our Best Teishoku and Donburi in Tokyo page.
1F New Shimbashi bldg., 2-16-1 Shimbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 105-0004
〒105-0004 東京都港区新橋2-16-1 ニュー新橋ビル1F
Saturday and Sunday: 11am-3pm, 4:30pm-8:15pm
Closed 2nd Sunday of odd month
Train: 2-minute walk from the Hibiya exit of Shimbashi Station on the JR Yamanote line.
Official website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Buta Daigaku on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Buta Daigaku is located in Tokyo's Shimbashi, Shiodome, Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo's Shimbashi, Shiodome, Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Tokyo Restaurant Recommendations:
See all teishoku and donburi restaurants we recommend on our Best Teishoku and Donburi in Tokyo page and get the complete list for all cuisines on our Best Tokyo Restaurants page.
Tokyo Restaurants Reservation Service:
You can reserve tables hassle-free at over 300 Tokyo restaurants with Voyagin's Tokyo Restaurant Reservation service.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)