Chin Kenichi Mabodōfu serves a sloppy, spicy beef-and-tofu dish redolent with Sichuan pepper, one of the best renditions outside the Sichuan province.
Chin Kenichi Mabodōfu. - image © Florentyna Leow
“Do one thing and do it well” seems like the national motto in Japan. That’s certainly true at ex-Iron Chef Chinese’s restaurant – of which there are many – where the signature dish is mabodofu. This is a sloppy, spicy beef-and-tofu dish redolent with the numbing flavours of Sichuan pepper. It’s the kind of comfort food that scratches an itch like no other. This restaurant is where you head to for one of the best renditions of this dish you’ll taste outside of Sichuan province. What else would you eat here, anyway? Don’t forget to grind on some extra Sichuan pepper for even more of a kick.
Chin Kenichi Mabodōfu Restaurant
1F Landmark Plaza, 2-2-1 Minatomirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama-shi, 220-8172
〒220-8172 横浜市西区みなとみらい2-2-1 ランドマークプラザ1F
Train: 3-minute walk from exit 5 of Minatomirai Station on the Minatomirai line.
Official Website (Japanese)
More Yokohama Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Yokohama page.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with a Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world