Special occasions call for special places, and Cossott'e SP in Azabu Juban is precisely the sort of restaurant you pull out all the stops for. Their yakiniku won’t come cheap, but the taste and quality of their wagyu is out of this world.
Cossott'e SP - image © Florentyna Leow
‘Wagyu’ is typically associated with Kobe beef outside of Japan, but the word literally just means ‘Japanese beef.’ Once you arrive in Japan, you’ll realise there’s much more than Kobe beef in the world of wagyu – that’s just one of many different varieties and grades of domestic beef here!
At Cossott'e SP in Azabu Juban, they actually buy the entire cow – always a female, and always the highest-quality A5-grade wagyu – for use in their restaurant. That ensures that no part of the cow goes to waste, and everything is always fresh.
You could stick to the usual cuts like kalbi (ribs) or sirloin, and have a very good meal. But we do recommend branching out into other parts of the cow. There’s an entire section on the menu dedicated to beef tongue; we love the thickly-cut slices of tongue with salt sauce. They also have some very rare ‘tanshita (ago),’ which is the part of the tongue that’s nearest the chin. Texture fans will love this!
Don’t forget to check out the vegetables and pickles section of the menu. Grilled mushrooms are always good, as are the whole-grilled garlic cloves in oil – yes, we think this is appropriate date food. The chicken miso cabbage is also great for snacking on in between waiting for your beef and veg to grill up!
Of course, an entire meal consisting of A5-grade wagyu does come at a rather steep price. For context, a small plate of (very good) kimchi pickles will set you back JPY550, while a platter of high-grade beef tongue goes for jPY3490. Cossott'e SP ain’t cheap, but it is worth the splurge. Unless you have very deep pockets, save it for special occasions.
For more Tokyo wagyu choices, see our Best Wagyu in Tokyo page.
5-13-11 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-0032
Subway: 5-minute walk from exit 7 of Azabu-juban Station on the Toei Oedo line, and Tokyo Metro Namboku line.
Official website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Cossott'e SP on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Cossott'e SP is located in Tokyo's Roppongi and Akasaka district. See our complete list of things to do in Roppongi and Akasaka, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Tokyo Restaurant Recommendations:
See all Wagyu restaurants we recommend on our Best Wagyu in Tokyo page and get the complete list for all cuisines on our Best Tokyo Restaurants page.
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world