Even if you’re in Tokyo, there are days that only a hearty Indian meal will suffice. Dhaba India in Yaesu near Tokyo Station serves up some magnificent South Indian cuisine that gives the food in the motherland a good run for its money.
Dhaba India - image © Florentyna Leow
Indian restaurants in Tokyo tend to be of the North Indian ilk, with tandoori and creamy curries taking place of pride on the menus. South Indian food, by contrast, is rather underrated. But hopefully, this changes as more restaurants like Dhaba India open up in Tokyo.
Dhaba India serves South Indian cuisine from Tamil and Kerala. It’s a far cry from familiar North Indian curries - think seafood-heavy dishes like lemon oyster curry and Mangalorian masala crab curry.
Even better are the dosas - light, crispy crepes of fermented rice flour and lentil batter that pair beautifully with the curries. You can watch the chefs prepare your dosa, since the griddle is at the front of the kitchen, visible from the restaurant space.
Mutton biryani - image © Chris Rowthorn
It’s a great place for dinner, especially if you can go with a few friends to try more items on the menu. But, if you’re around during the day, the set lunches are also good value for money - the JPY1,200 thali will get you a masala dosa, rice, three curries, sambar, and rasam soup.
1F Sagami bldg., 2-7-9 Yaesu, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0028
〒103-0028 東京都中央区八重洲2-7-9 相模ビル1F
Monday-Friday: 11:15am-3pm, 5pm-11pm
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: noon-3pm, 5pm-10pm
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit 5 of Kyobashi Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza line.
Train: 6-minute walk from Yaesu South exit of Tokyo Station.
Official website (English)
:: Read customer reviews of Dhaba India on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Dhaba India is located in Tokyo's Tokyo Station and Marunouchi district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo Station and Marunouchi, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)