For fun, live gigs and rip-roaring comedy shows in Tokyo, look no further than Harajuku Crocodile in Shibuya.
Harajuku Crocodile - image © Florentyna Leow
Crocodile is a fun and funky dive, with live gigs held daily. They don’t discriminate much when it comes to the genres, and live acts run the gamut: country, jazz-fusion, soul, rock n’ roll, blues - you name it, they’ve played it at some point.
The last Friday of every month is your chance to check out Tokyo’s finest English-language comedy and improv. Run by Tokyo Comedy Store (www.tokyocomedy.com), the cover charge is JPY1500, which is not bad at all for two or three hours of entertainment. It’s a favorite with local expats, so we suggest booking your tickets in advance.
Crocodile is a favorite with young Japanese people. So, if you ever want to mingle with local Japanese youth without the eardrum-shattering noise of a nightclub, definitely pay a visit. Just don’t bother with the food at Crocodile. It’s not great, and there are vastly better options out in Shibuya.
B1 New Sekiguchi bldg., 6-18-8 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0001
〒150-0001 東京都渋谷区神宮前6-18-8 ニュー関口ビルB1
Varies by event
Train: 3-minute walk from the west exit of Shibuya Station.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)