October 2022: Please note Hibiki Shinjuku-ten has now permanently closed. Please see our Shinjuku page for other dining in the district. See all Izakaya we recommend on our Best Izakaya Rice In Tokyo page and get the complete list for all cuisines on our Best Tokyo Restaurants page.
When you need a special-occasion izakaya for a night out in Shinjuku, look no further than Hibiki. It’s worth dining there for the stunning night views alone.
Hibiki Shinjuku-ten - image © Florentyna Leow
Izakaya are usually casual, down-to-earth restaurants. But for special occasions, one needs a more high-end option for dinner. At these times, Hibiki fits the bill. Hibiki’s location alone promises a dining experience out of the ordinary: it’s on the 49th floor of the Nomura Building in west Shinjuku, from which you’ll enjoy fabulous views of the cityscape at night.
The emphasis is on making the best of quality ingredients, and like many restaurants across Japan, the menu changes with the seasons. You’ll find a vast range of dishes on their menu, with something for everyone. Their extensive sake (rice wine) and shochu (distilled liquor) list is nothing to sniff at either.
With average prices per person around JPY5000~JPY6000 at dinnertime, dining at an upscale izakaya like Hibiki is a surprisingly affordable experience. It’s also relatively tourist-friendly, with menus in both English and Chinese available. Some of the staff also speak English. Rather unusually for an izakaya, they’re also open for lunch, and on a clear day you may be able to enjoy views of Mt. Fuji.
For more Tokyo izakaya and sake choices, see our Best Izakaya And Sake Specialists In Tokyo page.
Hibiki Shinjuku NOWA (modern izakaya)
8F Shinjuku NOWA Bldg., 3-17-12 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0022
〒160-0022 東京都新宿区新宿3-37-12 新宿NOWAビル8階
11:30am-3pm (Saturday, Sunday and national holiday)
5pm-11pm (Sunday-Thursday and national holiday)
5pm-12pm (Friday, Saturday and day before a national holiday)
Train: 1-minute walk from the east exit of Shinjuku Station.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Hibiki Shinjuku-ten on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Hibiki Shinjuku-ten is located in Tokyo's Shinjuku district. See our complete list of things to do in Shinjuku, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Tokyo Restaurant Recommendations:
See all Izakaya we recommend on our Best Izakaya Rice In Tokyo page and get the complete list for all cuisines on our Best Tokyo Restaurants page.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world