Cult pastry chef Hidemi Sugino’s shop and cafe is a must-visit for anyone with a sweet tooth - his delicate, creamy mousse cakes will have any dessert lover swooning at first bite.
Hidemi Sugino - image © Florentyna Leow
Located down a quiet street in Kyobashi, Hidemi Sugino’s discreet shopfront belies the cult pastry chef’s fame. His cakes look like works of art, and are famously light and creamy. It’s no surprise that he’s netted several awards over the last two decades for his desserts.
Sugino is especially famous for his sublime entremets - layered cakes of mousse, sponge, jams, and creams. Some of the cakes are so delicate that they can only be eaten in-store, as they’ll collapse when transported or left out in room temperature for more than 15 minutes.
This is, of course, a fantastic excuse to sit in the cafe and eat your way through the cakes you can’t buy to go.
Go on a weekday if possible, and go early. Some cakes are made in limited quantities and sell out quite early in the day. You’re allowed to purchase 4 for takeaway and consume 2 in store. Bring a friend with you so that you can try every single cake in the display case.
1F Kyobashi Daie bldg., 3-6-17 Kyobashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0031
〒104-0031 東京都中央区京橋3-6-17 京橋大栄ビル1F
Closed Sunday and Monday
Possible (only hall cakes and baked confectioneries)
Subway: 2-minute walk from exit 1 of Kyobashi Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza line.
Train: 9-minute walk from Kyobashi exit of Yurakucho Station on the JR Yamanote line.
Official website (Japanese Facebook)
:: Read customer reviews of Hidemi Sugino on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Hidemi Sugino is located in Tokyo's Tokyo Station and Marunouchi district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo Station and Marunouchi, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)