With its beautiful, contemporary take on Japanese cuisine, the elegant and stylish Higashi-Yama in Ebisu is a perfect place to eat ‘designer washoku.’
Higashi-Yama Tokyo - image © Florentyna Leow
Not all Japanese restaurants are created equal, and not all can be paragons of excellence. But if you find a place where the chopsticks are hand-carved and a delight to hold, it signals good things to come from your meal. Attention to detail matters.
Craft and design aficionados will find much to love about Higashi-Yama in Ebisu, with its exquisite tableware, metalware, and ceramics. The food is also well-matched to its setting: elegant and contemporary, relying heavily on local and regional produce, tasting as good as it looks.
Like most washoku (Japanese cuisine) restaurants, the menu is seasonal and changes frequently. The second half of June, for instance, saw a gorgeous broiled gratin of summer corn and sea bream at the restaurant.
Set menus begin at JPY4500 per head, which gives you a light meal; the mid-range JPY6000 menu is a more complete dinner, including dessert. Alternatively, ordering a la carte is possible.
Higashi-Yama isn't the cheapest place in town, but it’s entirely worth splashing out a little for a special occasion. Make sure you book ahead, especially at dinnertime.
1-21-25 Higashiyama, Meguro-ku,Tokyo, 153-0043
Tuesday-Saturday: 11:30am-3pm, 6pm-12am
Train: 9-minute walk from Naka-meguro Station on the Tokyu Toyoko line and Tokyo Metro Hibiya line.
Official website (English)
:: Read customer reviews of Higashi-Yama Tokyo on TripAdvisor.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get essential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)