October 2022: Please note Hotel Coco Grand Ueno Shinobazu has now permanently closed. Please see our Ueno page for other places to stay in the district.
With a good location in Ueno, this moderate business hotel offers small but efficient rooms and some interesting extras like in-room massage chairs and a sento (public bath).
While Ueno is not the best place to stay in Tokyo, it’s far from the worst. This hotel is within easy walking distance of JR Ueno Station, which is on the loop line, and Keisei Ueno Station, which has direct express trains to/from Narita Airport. The hotel overlooks Shinobazu Pond, which is often covered with giant water lilies. It’s also very close to Ueno Park, which is home to museums and cherry blossoms (in season).
The rooms here are small but adequate and well kitted out. Some have nice views over the pond and park. There’s a sento in addition to en suite bathrooms. There are massage chairs in each room, which is nice after a day of sightseeing. Finally, there are coin washing machines, which is convenient on long trips.
Given the relatively convenient location, the extra features and the reasonable rates, this is a good choice in the moderate bracket.
Hotel Coco Grand Ueno Shinobazu
2-12-14 Ueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 110-0005
:: Check availability and pricing for the Hotel Coco Grand Ueno Shinobazu on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
wifi and LAN cable access
Subway: 3-minute walk from exit 2 of Yushima Station on the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda line.
Train: 5-minute walk from the north exit of Okachimachi Station on the JR Yamanote line.
Near To Here:
Hotel Coco Grand Ueno Shinobazu is located in Tokyo's Ueno district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo's Ueno district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Tokyo Hotel Picks:
See our Tokyo Hotels page for hand-picked recommendations of Tokyo hotels to suit all budgets and tastes. For a quick overview of the best areas to stay in Tokyo, see our Where To Stay In Tokyo page.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world