Katsuretsu-an has been beloved by Yokohama locals since 1927, as their tonkatsu is consistently delicious and the restaurant itself is charmingly retro.
Katsuretsu-an. - image © Florentyna Leow
Katsuretsu-an has been beloved by Yokohama locals since 1927, and no wonder – their tonkatsu has been consistently delicious for all the time it’s been in business! Their signature dish is a rectangular pork cutlet with a perfectly crunchy breadcrumb coating. Don’t forget to pour on the accompanying sauce: it takes two full days of stewing their secret blend of fruits and vegetables, and then leaving it to mature for a day. In fact, they perfected the method 90 years ago. That the restaurant itself is charmingly retro is just the icing on the cake – so to speak.
5-58-2 Tokiwa-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, 231-0014
Subway and train: 1-minute walk from exit 9 of Kannai Station on the Yokohama Municipal Subway Blue line and JR Negishi line.
Official Website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Katsuretsu-an on TripAdvisor.
More Yokohama Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Yokohama page.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)