October 2022: Please note Khaosan Tokyo Laboratory has now permanently closed. Please see our Asakusa page for other places to stay in the district.
The Khaosan Tokyo Laboratory is a funky and friendly guesthouse with private and shared rooms just a short walk from the temple in Asakusa.
If you’re looking to meet other travelers, this colorful and sociable guesthouse is a good choice. It’s just across the street from the Asakusa sightseeing district and it’s close to the subway stations as well.
They offer both shared and private rooms. There’s also a common socializing area and a shared kitchen where you can make simple meals.
Some of the private rooms have en suite bathrooms. These can be a good choice for families or small groups.
Needless to say, since this is a guesthouse, it can be a bit noisier than a hotel.
Keep in mind that plenty of budget business hotels in Tokyo offer private rooms at lower rates than this guesthouse. But, if you really want to meet other travelers, this place is tough to beat.
Khaosan Tokyo Laboratory
2-1-4 Nishi-asakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0035
Subway: 3-minute walk from exit 3 of Tawaramachi Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza line.
Train: 5-minute walk from the A2 exit of Asakusa Station on the Tsukuba Express line.
Near To Here:
Khaosan Tokyo Laboratory is located in Tokyo's Asakusa, Ryogoku and Skytree district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo's Asakusa, Ryogoku and Skytree district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world