October 2022: Please note Khaosan World Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel has now permanently closed. Please see our Asakusa page for other places to stay in the district. See our Tokyo Hotels page for hand-picked recommendations of Tokyo hotels to suit all budgets and tastes. For a quick overview of the best areas to stay in Tokyo, see our Where To Stay In Tokyo page.
The Khaosan World Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel is a friendly and funky hostel with both private and dorm rooms, some Japanese-style and some Western-style.
If you’re looking to meet other travelers, this branch of the Khaosan guesthouse chain is a good choice. It’s a short walk west of the main sightseeing district in Asakusa, and fairly close to both subway stations.
There’s a wide variety of rooms, including private rooms with en suites, some of which are big enough for families. The ryokan-style design of some of the rooms is very pleasant. Other rooms have a modern Western-style design, which is colorful and fun. In addition, there’s a women-only dorm and a mixed dorm.
There are good common areas where you can meet other travelers and swap information.
Prices here are very reasonable, but if you’re after a standard private double or twin, you’ll find better rates at the budget business hotels in Asakusa. The real reason here is to meet other travelers, which is difficult at normal hotels.
Khaosan World Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel
3-15-1 Nishi-asakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0035
:: Check availability and pricing for the Khaosan World Asakusa Hostel on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Train: 1-minute walk from the A2 exit of Asakusa Station on the Tsukuba Express line.
Subway: 7-minute walk from exit 3 of Tawaramachi Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza line.
Near To Here:
Khaosan World Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel is located in Tokyo's Asakusa, Ryogoku and Skytree district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo's Asakusa, Ryogoku and Skytree district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Tokyo Hotel Picks:
See our Tokyo Hotels page for hand-picked recommendations of Tokyo hotels to suit all budgets and tastes. For a quick overview of the best areas to stay in Tokyo, see our Where To Stay In Tokyo page.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world