The Outlet Hotel UenoEkimae (formerly Kinuya Hotel) is an old-school Japanese hotel with budget rates and a super-convenient location near Ueno Park.
If you’re really looking to save money and don’t mind staying up in Ueno, this hotel might work. The main plus is the location: It’s steps from JR Ueno Station and Keisei Ueno Station (which gives easy access to/from Narita). It also overlooks the very southern end of Ueno Park. So, it’s got one of the best hotel locations in Ueno.
Those are the positives. On the negative side, the hotel is a bit long in the tooth and in need of renovation. Rooms are acceptable and even on the large side for business hotels. However, years of smokers have left a cigarette aroma in some rooms and common areas.
If you’re willing to put up with that, then you might give this hotel a try because of its convenient location and low rates.
Outlet Hotel UenoEkimae (formerly Kinuya Hotel)
2-14-28 Ueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 110-0005
wifi and LAN cable access
Train: Opposite of the Ikenohata exit of Keisei Ueno Station on the Keisei Main line.
Train: 3-minute walk from the Shinobazu exit of Ueno Station.
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get essential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)