You'll have to queue for Maruwa's perfectly juicy tonkatsu (deep-fried pork cutlets) and delicious miso soup – but it's a must-try if you’re in the area.
Maruwa. - image © Florentyna Leow
The lunchtime queue at Maruwa starts at least 30 minutes before opening time, and no wonder – their tonkatsu (battered, deep-fried pork cutlets) are perfectly tender, juicy, and crunchy all at once. The restaurant was also rated one of the top 100 in the area in 2019 according to Tabelog (Japan’s superior version of Yelp)! You’ll want to dip the cutlet in salt to really highlight the flavour of the pork. A special mention must go to the accompanying miso soup, which is a hearty tonjiru made with pork, carrots, onions, and red miso rather than the usual white. It’s all about the details at Maruwa. A must-try if you’re in the area. Don’t let the queue put you off; the idea here is to eat and leave without lingering.
5-61 Sumiyoshi-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, 231-0013
11:30am-2pm, 5:30pm-8pm (Monday-Friday), 11:30am-2pm (Saturday).Closed Sunday and national holidays.
Subway and train: 2-minute walk from exit 9 of Kannai Station on the Yokohama Municipal Subway Blue line and JR Negishi line.
More Yokohama Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Yokohama page.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world