This business hotel midway between Hamamatsucho and Shiodome offers rock-bottom rates and decent, if small, rooms.
Italia-Gai is a twee faux-Italian neighborhood located between Shiodome and Hamamatsucho. It’s sort of neither-here-nor-there and there aren’t many restaurants around, but the random location forces the hotel to keep prices right down near the budget level. So, if you don’t mind a walk or taxi to the nearest station to do your exploring, it’s a good location. And, because it’s within walking distance of Hamamatsucho, it’s convenient for the Tokyo Monorail, which runs direct to Haneda Airport.
The rooms are typically small for Tokyo business hotels, but they’re adequate for a night or two. There’s a small restaurant on site, which will suffice for breakfast. The staff is helpful and the place is well run.
The hotel is popular with East Asian visitors, which means that the lobby can be crowded with people pushing around big suitcases and common areas and hallways can be noisy.
But, if you’re looking to save some money and don’t mind an inconvenient location, this might work for a night or two.
Mitsui Garden Hotel Shiodome Italia-gai
2-14-24 Higashi-shimbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 105-0021
Budget to Moderate
wifi and LAN cable access
Subway: 7-minute walk from exit 8 of Shiodome Station on the Toei Oedo line, and Yurikamome line.
Subway: 7-minute walk from exit A4 of Onarimon Station on the Toei Mita line.
Train: 8-minute walk from the north exit of Hamamatsucho Station on the JR Yamanote line, and Tokyo Monorail Haneda Airport line.
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads