Nagi Shokudo in Shibuya isn’t the easiest place to find, but you’ll be rewarded with colourful, generously portioned, hearty vegetarian set meals when you do. We love this place.
Nagi Shokudo - image © Florentyna Leow
Sometimes all you want for lunch is a casual, unfussy meal – nothing rarefied or too prettily plated, nor somewhere too uptight where you have to whisper all your conversations. But is it too much to ask for a place that’s vegetarian, too? Enter Nagi Shokudo in Shibuya, a friendly little diner sequestered away on a back street south of the station. We love its relaxed setting, great background music, and library of English and Japanese ‘zines.
Nagi Shokudo is a well-loved lunch spot with locals, vegetarian or not. At JPY1080 for a generously-portioned teishoku set including brown rice, miso soup, three side dishes, and a drink, it’s a real bargain, especially considering the quality of the cooking!
Nagi Shokudo - image © Florentyna Leow
Those seeking a hearty lunch might want to get the A plate with deep-fried karaage soy ‘chicken, or the C plate with its South Indian coconut curry. Solo diners, though, are in for a treat. You can order the ‘single person’s plate’ for JPY1550, which gives you 7 or 8 side dishes from the deli alongside brown rice and miso soup. It’s perfect for the solo diner who wants to try everything in the deli counter, but doesn’t have a companion to share dishes with!
If you can, leave a little room for dessert. The cakes change daily, but think treats like Earl Grey cake, blueberry cake, banana and walnut cake, home-made plum jam and walnut cake, and more. Whatever the day’s specials are, they’re sure to be a sweet end to your meal.
For more Tokyo vegan and vegetarian choices, see our Best Vegan and Vegetarian in Tokyo page.
103 Royal Palace Shibuya, 15-10 Uguisudani-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0032
〒150-0032 東京都渋谷区鶯谷町15-10 ロイヤルパレス渋谷103号
Monday-Saturday: noon-4pm, 6pm-11pm
Train: 6-minute walk from the west exit of Shibuya Station.
Official website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Nagi Shokudo on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Nagi Shokudo is located in Tokyo's Ebisu district. See our complete list of things to do in Ebisu, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Tokyo Restaurant Recommendations:
See all vegan and vegetarian restaurants we recommend on our Best Vegan and Vegetarian in Tokyo page and get the complete list for all cuisines on our Best Tokyo Restaurants page.
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world