Two stops north of Ueno, in the district of Nippori, you’ll find one of the world’s greatest selections of fabrics and sewing tools. If you like to make things with fabric, a stop in Nippori is a must.
Nippori Fabric Town: Morumotto / Shutterstock.com
Japan has a long and deep tradition of textile and fabric work and this continues to the present day. Sewing and other fabric crafts are extremely popular among Japanese women and some men. As you’d expect, Tokyo has a great selection of fabric and sewing stores. Conveniently, many are clustered along one street in Nippori, in northwest Tokyo.
Known in English as “Nippori Fabric Town,” this is a wonderland for any keen fabric worker. Basically, if you can’t find it here, you probably won’t find it anywhere. Take your time to peruse all the shops on the street before making any purchases. Most shops are used to the occasional foreign visitor, so they’ll help you as much as they can.
Fabric for sale in Nippori: Morumotto / Shutterstock.com
Nippori Fabric Town
Higashi-nippori, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo, 116-0014
Varies by shop
Train: 3 min walk from the south exit of Nippori Station on the JR Yamanote line.
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world