Craving grilled unagi (freshwater eel)? This branch of the famous Nodaiwa has been going strong for generations. It’s not the cheapest meal, but worth it.
Nodaiwa. - image © Florentyna Leow
Craving grilled unagi (freshwater eel)? When in Yokohama, Nodaiwa is the restaurant to head to. This is a branch of the famous Nodaiwa in Tokyo’s Minato Ward, which has been going strong for five generations now. If you can’t make it to the original restaurant this is a good eating experience in its own right. They steam the eel before grilling to remove excess fat, resulting in incredibly tender flesh that seems to melt right in your mouth. We love the surface char – there’s just the right amount of it. The eel might be farmed (in Shizuoka and Kagoshima) or wild-caught from the Ariake Sea and the surrounding Kyushu waters. Depending on the season, you might even be able to order both types for a side-by-side comparison. It’s not the cheapest meal around, but it’s worth shelling out on occasion for good unagi.
5F Yokohama Takashimaya, 1-6-31 Minami-saiwai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama-shi, 220-8601
〒220-8601 横浜市西区南幸1-6-31 横浜高島屋5F
Train and subway: Directly connected to Yokohama Station.
Official Website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Nodaiwa on TripAdvisor.
More Yokohama Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Yokohama page.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world