Pizza Studio Tamaki (PST) in Higashi-Azabu serves some of the best Neapolitan-style pizza in Tokyo. That’s not hyperbole - it’s just a fact of life in Tokyo.
Pizza Studio Tamaki - image © Florentyna Leow
Ask a well-traveled pizza aficionado, and many may argue that the best Neapolitan-style pizza isn’t found in Naples but in Japan. It’s a tall claim, but if you eat at Pizza Studio Tamaki (PST), you might find yourself agreeing with them.
Pizzaiolo Tsubasa Tamaki has never even been to Italy, but you wouldn’t know it from the pies he serves up every night. The pizza has only improved since he opened his restaurant a few years ago. This style of pizza is all about the dough, which is made with a blend of Japanese and U.S. flours. A shake of salt goes into the custom-made oven before the pie does, giving the charred crust a terrifically addictive saltiness.
The toppings definitely aren’t shabby either. Whether it’s the sweet tomato sauce, freshly smoked Mozzarella, herbs, or zingy capers, the ingredients here are top-notch and make dining here well worth the price tag. Whatever you order, you’ll probably be very happy with your life choices.
The staff might be able to squeeze you in if you show up at 6pm, but reservations are strongly recommended for this tiny pizza institution.
Pizza Studio Tamaki
1-24-6-105 Higashi-azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-0044
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: noon-4pm, 5pm-10pm
Subway: 2-minute walk from the Nakanohashi exit of Akabanebashi Station on the Toei Oedo line.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Pizza Studio Tamaki on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Pizza Studio Tamaki is located in Tokyo's Shimbashi, Shiodome, Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa district. See our complete list of things to do in Tokyo's Shimbashi, Shiodome, Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads