Offering a taste of Naples in Nakameguro, da Isa serves up some of the best sourdough Neapolitan pizza in Tokyo.
Pizzeria e trattoria da ISA - image © Florentyna Leow
Though it may sound odd, Tokyo is home to several top-notch pizza parlours, and one of these is Pizzeria e Trattoria da Isa in Nakameguro. Headed by Hisanori Yamamoto, three-time winner of the World Pizza Cup Competition, the Neapolitan-style pizzas are as fine as any you’ll find in Naples - perhaps even better.
The litmus test of a good pizza is the dough, and Yamamoto’s sourdough crust is second to none. And, he’s still the main pizzaiolo helming the pizza oven, so it’s almost certain that you’ll be eating a pie turned out by the master himself.
Though there are around 40 different pizzas on the menu, these are primarily variations on the classic marinara or Margherita styles. You won’t find pineapple, corn, or mayonnaise anywhere here, and it’s best not to ask.
Atmosphere-wise, da Isa is up there with the liveliest izakaya restaurants - it’s cheerfully loud and rambunctious in there. But, if you’re keen on making conversation, grab a takeaway pizza during lunch hours and head to the nearest park with your friends instead. As a bonus, it’s only JPY900 a pie when you’re doing takeout.
For more Tokyo pizza choices, see our Best Pizza in Tokyo page.
Pizzeria e trattoria da ISA
ピッツェリア エ トラットリア ダ イーサ
1-28-9 Aobadai, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, 153-0042
Train: 6-minute walk from Naka-meguro Station on the Tokyu Toyoko line and Tokyo Metro Hibiya line.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Pizzeria e trattoria da ISA on TripAdvisor.
Tokyo Restaurants Reservation Service:
You can reserve tables hassle-free at over 300 Tokyo restaurants with Voyagin's Tokyo Restaurant Reservation service.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)