A short walk from Ueno-koen Park, the Ryokan Katsutaro is a friendly little ryokan that offers traditional rooms at reasonable rates. Rooms here can accommodate up to four people, making it a good choice for families.
Ryokan Katsutaro - image © trulytokyo.com
The long-running Ryokan Katsutaro is a pleasant ryokan within easy walking distance of the sights in Ueno and Yanaka. While the building is modern, the rooms are traditional. The management is friendly and helpful and very used to foreign guests. Most rooms have en suite bathrooms. This is a great place to try the ryokan experience in Tokyo.
4-16-8 Ikenohata, Taito-ku
Price:Budget to Moderate
Internet: wifi access and communal PC
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
5min walk from Nezu Station, Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line
More Tokyo Ryokan Suggestions: see all Tokyo Ryokan we recommend.
More Tokyo Hotel Picks:
See our Tokyo Hotels page for hand-picked recommendations of Tokyo hotels to suit all budgets and tastes. For a quick overview of the best areas to stay in Tokyo, see our Where To Stay In Tokyo page.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)