October 2022: Please note Shimomae Shoten has now permanently closed. Please see our Places to Eat in Yokohama page for other recommendations.
The signature dish at tiny Shimomae Shoten is a chicken broth flavoured with Japanese curry, paired with skinny noodles. The queue outside says it all!
Shimomae Shoten. - image © Florentyna Leow
If you’ve ever wondered what a curry and ramen lovechild would taste like, wonder no more. Head over to Shimomae Shoten, a tiny ramen restaurant sequestered away in an alleyway in the Motomachi district of Yokohama to find out. Their signature dish is the Curry Ramen – a chicken broth flavoured with Japanese curry, paired with skinny noodles. We recommend ordering some barbecued pork and wonton on the side. If curry-flavoured ramen is a step too far, consider the wonton ramen with a side of curry rice instead. The flavour combination might sound odd but it works. The queue outside every day says it all!
1-54-1 Moto-machi, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, 231-0861
noon until the soup runs out. Closed Monday.
Train: 3-minute walk from exit 5 of Motomachi-Chukagai Station on the Minatomirai line.
:: Read customer reviews of Shimomae Shoten on TripAdvisor.
More Yokohama Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Yokohama page.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world