For casual yakitori dining in a warm, stylish environment, try Shousuke in Shinjuku.
Shousuke - image © Florentyna Leow
Many yakitori joints in Shinjuku are typically working-class affairs - think of Piss Alley’s cramped, greasy, smoky bars and restaurants with soot-smeared walls from years of charcoal grill smoke. But there are newer, more modern places around. One such place is Shousuke, an izakaya near the west side of Shinjuku Station.
Despite Shousuke’s stylish, modern interior, It’s casual enough that you don’t feel obliged to dress up for dinner here. Plus, it’s very affordable. Besides the charcoal-grilled chicken and vegetable skewers, the menu extends to offerings such as sashimi, braised pork belly, and other umami-packed tidbits to accompany your sake.
Like most izakaya in Tokyo, it is a smoking establishment, so if you visit be prepared. Shousuke is not the best restaurant in Shinjuku, but it’s a satisfying meal that's good value for money.
For more Tokyo izakaya and sake choices, see our Best Izakaya And Sake Specialists In Tokyo page.
3-6-11 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0022
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit C4 of Shinjuku-sanchome Station on the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi and Fukutoshin lines, and Toei Shinjuku line.
Train: 7-minute walk from the east exit of Shinjuku Station.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Shousuke on TripAdvisor.
Tokyo Restaurants Reservation Service:
You can reserve tables hassle-free at over 300 Tokyo restaurants with Voyagin's Tokyo Restaurant Reservation service.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)