Head for Sugai if you're after an affordable Michelin 2-star dining experience. It’s a kaiseki with gorgeous dishes showcasing fine seasonal ingredients.
Sugai. - image © Florentyna Leow
If you’re looking for a special fine dining experience, Sugai is the place to head to. It’s a kaiseki restaurant, so you know to expect a parade of gorgeously plated little dishes showcasing the finest seasonal ingredients. There is no menu: you sit back and let Chef Sugai whip up a mind-blowing meal. You might taste anything from passionfruit salad, sashimi, a divine abalone soup, braised soft-shelled turtle, to the best grilled marbled beef of your life. Dinner at JPY10,000 is surprisingly affordable for a 2 Michelin star restaurant. With just 18 seats, reservations are mandatory. It’ll be an experience to remember.
1F Yamada Bldg., 5-69 Ota-machi, Naka-ku, Yokohama-shi, 231-0011
〒231-0011 横浜市中区太田町5-69 山田ビル1F
noon-2:30pm, 6pm-9pm. Closed Wednesday.
Train: 2-minute walk from exit 3 of Bashamichi Station on the Minatomirai line.
:: Read customer reviews of Sugai on TripAdvisor.
More Yokohama Restaurant Recommendations:
See all the restaurants we recommend on our Places to Eat in Yokohama page.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world