The Sumida River Cruise (Sumida Line) is a great way to travel between Asakusa and the Tokyo Bay Area. You’ll see a totally different side of Tokyo and you’ll get a break from subways and trains.
Sumida River Cruise boat Himiko: Ned Snowman / Shutterstock.com
The Sumida River Cruise (Sumida Line in Japanese) connects several piers around the Tokyo Bay Area (Hinode, Hama Rikyu, Nihonbashi, Odaiba and Toyosu) with Asakusa (which is convenient for Senso-ji Temple and close to the museum district of Ueno, as well as Tokyo Sky Tree).
You’ll experience a totally different view of the city from the river and you’ll be reminded that Tokyo is indeed a port city. Three futuristic boats ply a variety of routes and stop in different places. Check the English-language website (below) for full details.
Sumida River Cruise
English address (Asakusa):
1-1-1 Hanakawado, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 111-0033
Japanese address (Asakusa):
Admission (Asakusa-Hinode Pier):
6-11 years old: JPY430
Nearest Transport (Asakusa):
Subway: 1 min walk from exit 5 of Asakusa Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza line, and Toei Asakusa line.
Train: 2 min walk from Asakusa Station on the Tobu Skytree line.
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with a Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world