For fans of tempura fritters, Tenkuni in Shinjuku’s Takashimaya Times Square is another great choice when dining out in the area.
Tenkuni - image © Florentyna Leow
Gourmands wandering around Shinjuku are spoilt for choice when it comes to tempura. Specialist restaurants such as Funabashiya and Tsunahachi should be on your list when you need a tempura spot in the area, but another great option is Tenkuni in Takashimaya Times Square. Tenkuni is particularly well known for its kakiage tendon - a rice bowl with seafood and vegetable fritters.
Tenkuni began as a humble street stall in Ginza more than a century ago. It’s a long time to be making tempura, and they’ve honed their craft throughout the years. Though the original shop is still in Ginza, the Shinjuku branch is a convenient option if you don’t want to travel all the way to Ginza for tempura.
Deep-fried in a mouthwatering blend of sesame and corn oil, Tenkuni’s kakiage is best eaten very hot, and as soon as possible after serving. It’s a finely-executed but comforting dish that’s sure to hit the spot.
Kobikicho Tenkuni (tempura)
14F Takashimaya Times Square, 5-24-2 Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 151-8580
〒151-8580 東京都渋谷区千駄ヶ谷5-24-2 タカシマヤ タイムズスクエア14階
Train: 1-minute walk from the new south exit of Shinjuku Station.
:: Read customer reviews of Tenkuni on TripAdvisor.
Tokyo Restaurants Reservation Service:
You can reserve tables hassle-free at over 300 Tokyo restaurants with GoVoyagin's Tokyo Restaurant Reservation service.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how.
- It's essential you have travel insurance for Tokyo - we recommend World Nomads