The Tokyo Ueno Touganeya Hotel is a great, friendly little budget hotel just steps from Ueno Station. It’s great for families.
This hotel boasts one of the best hotel locations in Ueno: It’s just steps from JR Ueno Station and also very close to Keisei Ueno Station, for easy access to/from Narita. It’s also very close to Ueno Park, Ameya Yokocho arcade, and tons of shops and restaurants.
The entire hotel is non smoking, which is great. The staff is super friendly and tries hard to please. There’s a nice restaurant which serves a great and healthy Japanese breakfast and other meals. There’s a laundry room where you can wash your clothes.
There are five different kinds of rooms, including great family rooms with a large twin/double bed for parents and bunk beds for kids. These rooms can sleep three to five people.
And, best of all, the rates place it firmly in the budget category. This, given the great location, the welcoming staff, the family rooms, the no-smoking policy and the rock-bottom rates, we highly recommend this hotel!
Ueno Touganeya Hotel
3-17-5 Higashi-Ueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 110-0015
wifi and LAN cable access
Train: 2-minute walk from the Asakusa exit of Ueno Station.
More Tokyo Hotel Picks:
See our Tokyo Hotels page for hand-picked recommendations of Tokyo hotels to suit all budgets and tastes. For a quick overview of the best areas to stay in Tokyo, see our Where To Stay In Tokyo page.
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with a Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world