Zoetrope is a must-go for fans of Japanese whisky. Visit this secluded bar in west Shinjuku to drink from the best collection of whisky in Tokyo.
Zoetrope - image © Florentyna Leow
Years ago, a video game designer named Atsushi Horigami left the world of computers to open his own bar. That bar is Zoetrope, an idiosyncratic space dedicated to the two loves of his life - Japanese whisky and American films.
Zoetrope doesn’t just have a Japanese whisky collection. It has by far the best Japanese whisky selection in Tokyo, if not the world. Many of these whiskies aren’t even available on the market anymore. Big names like Suntory and Yamazaki are available, but tipples from craft distilleries are also well-represented. Besides whisky, patrons can also sample vodka, rum, and grappa - all, of course, made in Japan.
Films and whisky make for an unexpected but entirely fitting pair. In this bar, you’ll be able to watch great movies while sipping on fine whisky or other spirit of your choice. It’s a real change from the noise and neon of Shinjuku, and it's a great way to spend an evening in Tokyo.
3F Gaia bldg. 4, 7-10-14 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0023
〒160-0023 東京都新宿区西新宿7-10-14 ガイアビル4 3階
Closed Sunday and national holiday
Cover charge Y600
Train: 6-minute walk from the west exit of Shinjuku Station.
Official website (Japanese)
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)