JZ Brat in Shibuya is an elegant jazz bar showcasing regular and excellent performances. You’ll find all the elements of a perfect night out right here.
JZ Brat Sound of Tokyo - image © Florentyna Leow
Japanese people take jazz seriously. Just ask Haruki Murakami, whose literary characters are bizarrely erudite when it comes to jazz. Unsurprisingly, Tokyo has no shortage of great jazz bars, and JZ Brat in Shibuya’s Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel is right up there with the best of them.
JZ Brat may have an oddly abrasive name, but its elegant interior, superb sound system, and excellent service makes up for all of that. Different jazz singers and players perform nightly, and it’s always a well-curated list. They don’t always play ‘pure’ jazz; you’ll sometimes hear bebop, rhythm and blues, or more pop-like jazz. Still, there’s rarely a bad act here.
The food at JZ Brat is also good, which is a real plus. Elegant surroundings, a tasty dinner, gorgeous music - what more could you ask for?
JZ Brat is a great jazz bar for both casual and serious fans of the genre. The only downside is the slightly pricey cover charge, which also increases on nights hosting international players. Check the schedule before your visit.
JZ Brat Sound of Tokyo
2F Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel, 26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0031
〒150-0031 東京都渋谷区桜丘町26-1 セルリアンタワー東急ホテル2F
Varies by event
Train: 3-minute walk from the west exit of Shibuya Station.
Official website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
JZ Brat is located in Tokyo's Shibuya district. See our complete list of things to do in Shibuya, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world