Attached to Bunkamura’s art and culture complex, department store Tokyu Honten in Shibuya is all about a more luxurious shopping experience.
Tokyu Honten - image © Florentyna Leow
Tokyu Honten, the head branch of the Tokyu department store, is all about understated luxury. It caters largely to the more affluent, mature crowd. Women’s clothes are, for instance, distinctly more expensive and well-made. Upscale supermarket Seijo Ishii and food deli Dean & Deluca have branches there too. Think Japanese versions of Waitrose and M&S and you’ll be on the mark. This is the kind of place to shop at if you want to splash out a little.
Even if you’re not really looking for a luxury shopping experience, the pet shop on the rooftop is fun to visit, and in the summer there’s a beer garden. Kinokuniya Bookstore also has a branch in Tokyu Honten, albeit without any of the English-language books that the Shinjuku branches stock.
The best part about Tokyu Honten is that it’s attached to the super Bunkamura complex, which hosts the excellent Bunkamura Museum of Art and its companion theatre and concert hall. Tokyu Honten is worth a visit if you already happen to be heading to Bunkamura for an exhibition.
2-24-1 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0043
B1 and 1F: 10am-8pm
2F-6F, 8F and rooftop: 10am-7pm
8F beauty salon: 10am-9pm
8F restaurant: 11am-10:30pm
Train: 5-minute walk from Hachiko exit of Shibuya Station.
Official website (English of the machine translation)
Where Is This Place Located?See this place on the Truly Tokyo Google map:
- Open the Tokyo map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world