With the announcement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics being postponed until 2021, here's a roundup of what's been currently announced about the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
The Tokyo skyline and a view of the Olympic Stadium currently under construction: Ned Snowman / Shutterstock.com
Tokyo Olympics New Dates
The Tokyo Olympics have been rescheduled for July 23 to August 8 in 2021.
According to the Asahi Shimbun newspaper, existing tickets will still be valid for the Games in 2021.
Refunds will also be available.
Even though the games will be held in 2021, they will still be officially known as Tokyo Olympics 2020.
TrulyTokyo.com has several pages about the logistics of the now-postponed 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Best Places To Stay In Tokyo For The Tokyo Olympics
- How To Buy Tokyo Olympic Tickets
- Tokyo Olympic Venues
My guess will be that many of the venues will stay the same, which means my advice on where to stay in Tokyo during the Olympics will remain the same, but we will have to wait and see.
Once there is official confirmation we will update our coverage of the Tokyo Olympics for the new 2021 dates.
We will also update our information on buying Tokyo Olympics tickets for the 2021 dates once this is confirmed.
You can also check out the official Tokyo Olympics website.
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)