Located just 30 minutes south of central Tokyo, Yokohama is easily reached by multiple train lines from hubs like Tokyo Station and Shibuya Station. Read on for all the details.
East entrance gate of Shin-Yokohama Station's Shinkansen: dekitateyo / Shutterstock.com
- The train is the best way between Tokyo and Yokohama
- Tokyo Station > Yokohama Station: JPY480, JR Keihin Tohoku Line, JR Tokaido Line, or JR Yokosuka Line
- Tokyo Station > Shin-Yokohama Station: JPY2,600, Tokaido Shinkansen bullet train
- Shinjuku Station > Yokohama Station: JPY570, JR Shonan Shinjuku Line
- The Japan Rail Pass covers all of the above routes
- Shibuya Station > Yokohama Station: JPY280, Tokyu Toyoko Line
- Shinagawa Station > Yokohama Station: JPY310, Keikyu Keihinkyuko Line
- The Keikyu Keihinkyuko Line also connects Haneda Airport with Yokohama
Yokohama is about 29km/18 miles south of Tokyo. The best way to Yokohama from Tokyo, as well as other airports such as Haneda or Narita, is by train. Many office workers commute between the two cities, so there are multiple train lines connecting them. Additionally, it’s a popular day trip destination for Tokyoites and tourists.
Tokyo to Yokohama by Train
The best way between Tokyo and Yokohama is by train. The Tokaido Shinkansen bullet train is the fastest way to travel between the two cities, with a single journey clocking in at just under 20 minutes. At JPY2,600, it is also the most expensive. However, it’s extremely expedient and basically free if you have a Japan Rail Pass.
Alternatively, you can board Yokohama-bound trains from Tokyo Station on a number of other lines, including the JR Keihin Tohoku Line, JR Tokaido Line, or the JR Yokosuka Line. A one-way journey will not take more than 40 minutes.
You can also travel to Yokohama Station from Shinjuku Station via the JR Shonan Shinjuku Line. At its quickest, using the special rapid service, the journey will take approximately 30 minutes.
The cheapest route into Yokohama is from Shibuya Station on the Tokyu Toyoko Line, and a rapid express train will take you to Yokohama Chinatown in approximately 30 minutes.
If you are travelling to Yokohama from Haneda Airport, the most expedient way is to take the rapid express train on the Keikyu Keihinkyuko Line. The journey will take approximately 30 minutes.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)