With many beautiful public parks and open green spaces, Yokohama is a great place to see Japan’s famous cherry blossoms. Here is a list of the best spots in the city and information on when the cherries bloom.
Cherry blossoms in the evening at Sankeien Garden, Yokohama.: Sakarin Sawasdinaka / Shutterstock.com
In a hurry? Scroll down to our list of Yokohama’s best cherry blossom spots. For information on the timing of cherry blossom season in Yokohama, read the following section first.
When Is Cherry Blossom Season In Yokohama?
Cherry blossoms typically bloom around the last week of March and the first week of April. Historically, they begin blooming, and hit full bloom (“mankai” in Japanese) within the first few days of April. After about a week, most of the cherry blossoms will have fallen off the trees.
Cherry Blossoms Are Unpredictable
However, consider this an average. Depending on the weather – which now varies much more with climate change – cherry blossoms can start blooming as early as mid-March or as late as early April, and hit full bloom any time in late March or early April. They are quite fickle, and it’s quite difficult to plan a trip around the cherry blossoms.
Blossoms Are A Bonus
It’s tough to catch the cherry blossoms at their peak during a short trip to Japan. Visit Yokohama when you do, and consider the cherry blossoms a bonus!
Besides, there’s more than just one or two varieties of cherry blossoms. While the common Somei Yoshino variety gets all the attention, botanical gardens and large natural parks will often contain early-blooming or late-blooming varieties. Even if you don’t manage to time your visit to the main event, you’re bound to spot some in bloom here and there.
Cherry blossom street in the Minato Mirai distrct.: 7maru / Shutterstock.com
Yokohama’s Best Cherry Blossom Spots
Here’s our list of the best cherry blossom spots in Yokohama. For more details on these places, visit our Things to do in Yokohama page.
- Sankeien Garden: Gorgeous cherry blossom trees in an exquisitely designed traditional Japanese garden. What’s not to love?
- Ookagawa River: With over 200 cherry blossom trees lining the river banks, it’s one of the most stunning sakura sights in Yokohama. Photographers might like the cruise boats which take you under the tunnel of cherries!
- Yamashita Park: Yokohama’s most famous park is a splendid place for hanami when the cherries are in full bloom.
- Sakura-dori, Minato Mirai: This 500 metre-long street in the Minato Mirai district is lined with cherry trees. There’s also a sakura festival held around the area during end-March to early April.
- Kamonyama Park: One of the city’s most popular spots for cherry blossom viewing parties. Its elevation – it’s on top of a hill – makes it a great lookout point too.
If you have extra time to spend in Yokohama:
- Negishi Forest Park: This park has several hundred cherry trees of different varieties – you get a long cherry blossom viewing season here. Little wonder it’s so beloved by local residents as a hanami spot!
- Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise: Not just famous for its marine life, the environs of this ocean theme park also house over 700 cherry trees across a number of varieties. A beautiful island to visit in spring.
- Mitsuike Park: Over 1600 cherry trees make this park an especially well-known spot with local residents for blossom viewing.
- Kodomo no Kuni: Combine blossom-viewing with a family day out. There are over 1000 cherry trees planted in this vast children’s park.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals. Check my guides to arriving at Narita Airport and at Haneda Airport.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world