With many beautiful public parks and open green spaces, Yokohama is a great place to see Japan’s famous autumn colours. Here is a list of the best spots in the city and information on timing.
Autumn at Sankeien Garden, Yokohama.: SATHIANPONG PHOOKIT / Shutterstock.com
When Is Fall Foliage Season In Yokohama?
While it can vary year-on-year with the climate, in general, the leaves start changing sometime in late October to early November. The autumn colours are typically best in Yokohama between mid-November and mid-December, peaking around the second half of November.
Golden ginkgo avenue in Yamashita Park, Yokohama.: structuresxx / Shutterstock.com
Yokohama’s Best Fall Foliage Spots
Here is our list of the best fall foliage spots in Yokohama. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Yokohama page.
- Sankeien: This traditional Japanese garden is an immensely popular spot in autumn for its glorious golden ginkgo and scarlet maples. Perfect for photo opportunities.
- Nihon Odori Avenue: This was Japan’s first Western-style road. Lined with open-air cafes, stately buildings, and ginkgo trees, it’s a breathtaking sight in autumn.
- Yamashita Park: The walking paths in Yokohama’s most famous park are blanketed in golden ginkgo leaves in autumn.
If you have extra time to spend in Yokohama:
- Negishi Forest Park: This green oasis is beautiful year-round, but it deserves a visit in autumn for the stunning zelkova and ginkgo trees.
- Mitsuike Park: This park with three ponds is well-loved by locals for its Japanese maples and ginkgo trees. Another autumn highlight here is the profusion of fall flowers – think cosmos, cockscomb, and more.
- Nogeyama Park: A charming hilltop park in a quiet residential neighbourhood – great for all the colours without the crowds.
- Yokohama Park: The second oldest park after Yamashita Park, autumn colours its Japanese-style gardens a brilliant profusion of reds, yellows, and oranges.
- Kodomo no Kuni: This children’s theme park has a fantastic variety of deciduous trees from Katsura and ginkgo to sawtooth oak and zelkova. Good for experiencing the full colour spectrum of autumn over two months.
- Kanazawa Nature Park: With over 400 trees in the park, the autumn leaves viewing season is relatively long here.
Yokohama Travel Guide:
- Yokohama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Yokohama
- Places To Eat In Yokohama
- Yokohama Itineraries
- Yokohama With Kids
- Yokohama Cherry Blossoms
- Yokohama Fall Foliage
- Yokohama Districts
- Yokohama Ryokan
- Yokohama Hotels
- Yokohama Map
- How To Get To Yokohama
- Getting Around Yokohama
- Best Time To Go To Yokohama
Tokyo Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Tokyo guide
- Check Tokyo accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Tokyo
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online with Klook for collection on arrival at Tokyo Narita or Haneda airports. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare airline flight prices and timings for the best Japan flight deals.
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Tokyo much easier - here's how
- Get esssential travel insurance for Tokyo – World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)